D-Dimer Test: Fight the Blood Clot
A D-Dimer test detects the presence of D-Dimer in blood. D-Dimer are fragmented pieces of protein which results from the dissolution of blood clot in your body. Blood clotting is quite crucial process that keep the body from losing great amount of blood when get injured.
Usually, Once the wound or injury has recovered, Blood clot gets dissolved in the blood. In case of disorder, without having any injury, blood clots can form and even don’t get dissolved by their own. This situation can have very severe impact on life and sometimes become life-snatching.
However, this test can help in ruling out any blood clots or any severe condition related with blood clots. D-Dimer test sometimes recognized as Fragment D-dimer, fibrin degradation fragment.
How this test helps out?
A D-dimer test is performed to find out if there is any blood clotting disorder. Disorders can be as follows,
- Pulmonary embolism (PE): It is a condition shows blockage in an artery in the lungs. It results into PE when the clot from another part of the body travels to the lungs. (A blood clot in lung)
- Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT): It is a condition, when there is a clot inside a vein (A blood clot in leg)
- When there is blockage and blood cannot be supplied to the brain, usually know as stroke
- A medical condition, when there is formation of too many blood clots throughout the body. It may cause injuries or infection and may harm organs of the body. This is called as Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation
Why is D-dimer test needed?
You may need this when you experience certain symptoms as follows,
|In case of DVT:||Pain in leg, swollen legs, red marks on the legs|
|In case of PE:||Fast Heartbeat, breathing difficulties, coughing, chest pain|
If you experience any kind of DVT or PE symptoms then, seek immediate medical attention and contact us at Concept Diagnostics. We perform this test in our separate health care setting.
How is D-Dimer Test Performed?
Our health care professional will draw blood using a small needle from your vein in your arm as a sample. That sample will be collected in the test-tube and will send to the laboratory for further probe. This will not even take 5 minutes.
If the amount of D-Dimer in your blood is present in low level or normal. That means you don’t have any clotting disorder
Incase, you have high level of D-Dimer present in your blood, that means you may have a clotting disorder. Somehow, this will not show the location and type of the clotting disorder.
Every so often, High D-Dimer can be caused by pregnancy, heart disease, or any fresh surgery. So, to confirm the results, our health care provider may recommend you to go for additional tests in case you have high level D-Dimer.
Our health care provider may recommend you below tests if your reports of D-Dimer test are not normal.
- Doppler Ultrasound: High frequency sound waves are transmitted to your body to get an image of your veins
- CT Angiography: CT stands for Computed Tomography. A special dye is injected in your veins to get a picture of your blood vessels on the special X-ray machine
- Ventilation-perfusion (V/Q) scan: These are two tests that may be performed separately or in conjunction. They both make use of small amounts of radioactive substances to help a scanning machine to check the air and blood move through your lungs.
If you feel any symptoms, contact us right now! We catch medical condition, before it snatches your life-expectation.